Thursday, June 28, 2012

This ain't no disco, this ain't no country club either

"...all I wanna do is have a little fun before I die, a man said to me, out of nowhere..."

Yes I do have a song in my head.

There are way too many days that I wait for 4:30. 4:30 is when I leave work and sometimes I just hit a wall. That's the issue with office jobs. Sometime, somewhere, someone made up this rule that you HAD to be at work for 8 hours.

How productive are those 8 hours really? What if you get bored and spend at least 2 of those 8 hours on facebook, talking to coworkers about non-dairy recipes, or generally gossiping? What if really there are only 6 hours that are truly productive. Does that mean I have to be paid less? Just because I am efficient and rarely have work go into overtime I should be punished by taking away pay. Hours = pay. Unless you are salary of course.

It just really bugs me how our society is so focused on what is SUPPOSED to be instead of maybe what SHOULD be. Maybe we SHOULD consider making our hours more reasonable. Sometimes I will be working over 40 hours a week, sometimes I will be working around 30, altogether that should even out to how much you want to pay me. How much is my work worth to your organization? That is the real question. And if I'm not getting things in on time or I'm spending too much time on facebook then fire me.

Maybe we spend too much time worrying about our PTO and our sick days and our unexpected days off, and not enough time focusing on work and what we want out of our life. Sometimes these petty things get in the way.

And that's no way to live life.

Until next time.

Keep calm and carry on.




No comments:

Post a Comment