Friday, April 27, 2012

Writing isn't a real degree


On Thursday some coworkers and I went out for a happy hour to belatedly celebrate my birthday, and to celebrate administrative professional week. Really it was just an excuse to drink because we’ve all been stressed. Anyone who works for a nonprofit will tell you that “campaign” and “annual report” season are stressful as heck.
We got on the topic of my time at Grand Valley State University and I was asked what I graduated with, and I said a degree in writing. My coworker gave me a look that said, “what the heck, what do you do with that?” I did my usual cut off before she could say anything and said, “at least it wasn’t liberal arts right?”

Really I was thinking a whole bunch of negative thoughts about myself because that’s what I do. The instant I think someone is judging me I feel the need to beat them to the punch and start judging myself, as if that will somehow offset what they are thinking. Can’t say it if I say it first right?

I am thinking of the song from Avenue Q. You can hear it here:



Writing isn’t useless. It’s fundamental. So many business people cannot write worth anything. That’s why communications people have jobs. To speak for business people who would say ridiculous jargon otherwise, same with politicians. I can honestly say that I write every day at my job. Even if it’s just a thank you note or a short email to our board, there is always something that needs a finer touch.

Maybe I’ve done everything all wrong. Maybe I shouldn’t have studied writing or not finished grad school or gone into nonprofit work. Maybe….but I wouldn’t have been happy. I wouldn’t be in Minnesota at a good job with good people to go out drinking with.

Maybe life is being judged by others for what you have or have not done.

Maybe I’m sick of being told that I should have done something different.

Maybe, as my boss says, I should handle my frustration by getting angry, rather than letting it drag me down. Get angry and change the world. That’s my motto for the day.

Until next time,
Keep calm and carry on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment